Christmas 2022 at Kew Gardens
Home to the largest collection of flora and fungi, the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew is one of the top places to visit in London. With over 50,000 living plants, it is one of the most diverse places in the world and has also been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2003. One of the most wonderful times to visit Kew Gardens in winter is when Christmas at Kew Gardens is running with garden trails decorated with beautiful lighting, delicious food served to the visitors, and lots more to enjoy the festivities. Read on to know more about what happens during Christmas at Kew Gardens and how to plan your visit.
Christmas at Kew Gardens
Join Christmas at Kew Gardens, one of the best times to witness the winter trail magic in the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew. Take part in the after-dark festivities that include a stroll under the stars through the beautiful gardens where you will come across tunnels of light, trees covered in colors, waterside reflections, etc. as you make your way to the Palm House light display. Enjoy the glimmering flames of the Fire Garden, delicious street food on the trail, and meeting Father Christmas for a jolly Christmas experience.
Why Celebrate Christmas at Kew Gardens in 2021?
- Enjoy a stroll through the beautiful lit Royal Botanical Garden at Kew.
- Walk under the Tunnels of Light while being guided by the twinkling lights on the trail.
- Watch the flames flicker in the Fire Garden and enjoy the light and sound display in front of the Palm House.
- Taste delicious Christmas treats, hot food, and winter drinks.
- Marvel at the beautiful lights, huge illuminations of the seed heads, and the trees bathed in jewel-like colors.
- Greet Father Christmas on the way and enjoy a merry Christmas as the entire garden is filled with seasonal music.
Christmas at Kew | Visitor Information 2021
Christmas at Kew runs between November 17, 2021, and January 8, 2022. It is open on the following dates:
- November 17, 2021 – November 21, 2021
- November 24, 2021 – November 28, 2021
- November 20, 2021 – December 5, 2021
- December 7, 2021 – December 12, 2021
- December 14, 2021 – December 24, 2021
- December 26, 2021 – January 9, 2022
Entry Timings: 4 PM – 10 PM (Last entry at 8 PM)
- The trail is 2.6 km long, visible from the pathway, and can take around 75 minutes to cover.
- Christmas at Kew attempts to make the trail fully accessible but there are a few difficult terrains with gradients that can be difficult during wet weather.
- Visitors can bring their wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and buggies.
- There are wheelchairs available for borrowing as well, on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Registered disability assistance dogs are allowed in the Kew Gardens.
- Victoria Plaza Cafe – Enjoy a warm cup of coffee or festive drinks along with delicious takeaway food from Victoria Plaza Cafe.
- Pavilion Bar and Grill – Eat some delicious burgers with seasonal salads and plant-based dishes at Pavilion Bar and Grill.
- Independent Street Food Vendors – There are several street food traders available along the trail where guests can choose to eat delicious street food.
Since the trail doesn’t have any cover and it can be wet at times, visitors should wear warm clothes and comfortable footwear.
Also, carry a torch as several areas of the trail have low lighting and it might be difficult to navigate the path.
- Photography – Guests can take photographs of the trail but should be careful of other visitors.
- Toilets – Visitors can access toilets at Brentford Gate, Victoria Plaza, and Pavilion Bar.
- Fairground – Enjoy rides at the fairground during Christmas at Kew. It is currently under review due to COVID-19 but might get operational soon enough.
- For the safety of everyone present at Christmas at Kew, full security checks will be carried out at the entrance gates.
- Visitors are requested to let the nearest staff member know of any observed suspicious activity or behavior.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended.
- Be mindful of your children and do not let them wander into the poorly lit areas of the Gardens.
Christmas at Kew Gardens | Parking Facilities
Visitors can park only along the Kew Road as cycle lanes have been implemented on both sides of the road.
Brentford Gate Car Park
- Visitors need to buy reserved parking tickets for £10 to park at Kew’s Ferry Lane car park, TW9 3AF.
- Entry to the Christmas at Kew is via Brentford Gate which is situated next to the car park.
- Daytime parking tickets are valid till 3 PM. After that, you need another parking ticket for the evening.
- Car park will close at 10 PM.
National Archives Car Park
- You can use the car park spaces available at the National Archives parking facility from 3:30 PM.
- This car parking facility can be reached on foot from Victoria Gate and Lion Gate in 11 and 25 minutes, respectively.
Disabled Access Parking
- Visitors with a disability can park in Kew’s car park, TW9 3AF, for free.
- Buy the reserved parking ticket and select the disabled access parking option.
- Display the Blue badge when accessing the disabled access parking.
All Your Questions About Christmas at Kew Gardens 2021 Answered
A. Christmas at Kew Gardens is an annual event where you can stroll through the Gardens after dark on new routes, enjoy some delicious food and drinks, and take photographs of the festive decorations at Kew.
A. Yes, Christmas at Kew Gardens is going to run between November 17, 2021, and January 9, 2022.
A. The top highlights of Christmas at Kew Gardens 2021 are a beautiful winter trail, trees covered in jewel-like colors, a light display in front of Palm House, dancing flames in the Fire Garden, and greetings to Father Christmas.
A. Christmas at Kew Gardens can be accessed via a 2.6 km long trail that can be viewed from the pathway. There will be interactive elements added to this route and it will take 75 minutes for the visitors to cover it.
A. Yes, disabled guests can bring their wheelchairs, mobility scooters, or buggies to access the trail. You can even borrow wheelchairs at Kew and can bring registered disability assistance dogs with you to Christmas at Kew.
A. Brentford Gate Car Park and National Archives Car Park are accessible to guests during Christmas at Kew Gardens.
A. Visitors can take photographs of Christmas at Kew Gardens which can be used for promotional purposes. If you have a problem with this, you can talk to a Kew member of staff.
A. Since the trail is uncovered and can be wet at many places, it is recommended that visitors wear warm and comfortable clothing and footwear.
A. Kew gardens winter lights are low so visitors can carry a torch with them to light up the path. Naked flames such as lanterns, flares, candles, etc. are not allowed in the gardens.
A. Visitors can use the toilets at the Pavilion Bar and Grill, Victoria Plaza, and Brentford Gate during Christmas at Kew.
A. Guests can enjoy takeaway food from Victoria Plaza Cafe or Pavilion Bar and Grill. There are several street food vendors available on the trail as well that serve delicious street food.